Greece Replaces Top Brass in Army, Navy, Air Force in Surprise Move
Today in another surprise move, Greece Replaces Top Brass in Army, Navy, Air Force
Is Papandreou Preparing for a Military Coup or Afraid of One?In a surprise move, on Tuesday evening the defence minister replaced the country’s top brass.An extraordinary meeting of the Government Council of Foreign Affairs and Defence (Kysea), which comprises the prime minister and other key cabinet members, accepted Defence Minister Panos Beglitis' proposal that the following changes be made to army, navy and air force and the general staff:
- General Ioannis Giagkos, chief of the Greek National Defence General Staff, to be replaced by Lieutenant General Michalis Kostarakos
- Lieutenant General Fragkos Fragkoulis, chief of the Greek Army General Staff, to be replaced by lieutenant general Konstantinos Zazias
- Lieutenant General Vasilios Klokozas, chief of the Greek Air Force, to be replaced by air marshal Antonis Tsantirakis
- Vice-Admiral Dimitrios Elefsiniotis, chief of the Greek Navy General Staff, to be replaced by Rear-Admiral Kosmas Christidis
It is understood that the personnel changes took many members of the government and of the armed forces by surprise.
I can only think of two reasons for this latest surprise announcement.
- Papandreou or the Defense Minister is Preparing for a Military Coup (to stay in power if he does not survive the vote of confidence)
- Papandreou or the Defense Minister is Afraid of a Military Coup
Take your pick. It's one or the other but it could be both.
Mike "Mish" Shedlock
Click Here To Scroll Thru My Recent Post List